home company services locations contact us

Legal Requirements

Civil Ceremony

· Requirements for US citizens
· Requirements for British citizens
· Requirements for Australians citizens
· Requirements for Irish citizens
· Requirements for Russians citizens

· Requirements for Chinese citizens
· Requirements for Japanese citizens:
· Requirements for Germans

US citizens planning to marry in Italy must present certain documents and comply with specific requirements of Italian law in order to obtain a marriage license.
The process is time consuming, as it involves visits to several different public offices, which may be crowded and open to the public for only a few hours a day.
The documents required and the procedures to follow are described below.

PLEASE NOTE: The following list of documents is given as an indication only.
The applicable law on marriages is one and the same all over Italy, but City Halls may interpret it in slightly different ways. Please contact the marriage office in the City Hall where you intend to get married to get a definitive list of documents to be submitted to that office.

1. Valid US passport (members of US Armed Forces can present their ID card, along with a permission to marry issued by their Commanding officer).

2. Birth certificate (original or certified copy).

3. Evidence of the termination of any previous marriage, if applicable (e.g.: final divorce decree, annulment decree or death certificate of former spouse).

4. Affidavit, sworn to by the US citizen before a US Consul commissioned in Italy, stating that there is no legal impediment to the marriage, according to the laws of the State of which the citizen is a resident. This document is often referred to as “Nulla Osta” by Italian authorities. Note that a pending divorce, for example, would be an obstacle. Your legal status must be such that you can legally marry under Italian and US law. A consular officer will notarize sworn statements on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 9 AM to 11 AM. No appointments are made; the service is available on first come, first served basis. A $30 fee is charged for administering the oath (major credit cards are accepted).

NOTE: Once issued, this affidavit must be stamped by the Legalization Office of any Prefettura in our Consular District (there is one in every province capital). In Milan, the Prefettura is on Corso Monforte 31, telephone: 0277584332. In Venice, the Prefettura is at San Maurizio 2661, tel. 0412703411. In Como, the Prefettura is on Via Volta 50, tel. 0313171. Public hours are generally from 9AM to 11AM, Monday through Friday. A €11 revenue stamp (“marca da bollo”) is required – buy it from any tabaccaio (tobacconist’s).

5. Atto Notorio: This is a declaration, in addition to the sworn statement described under point 4, stating that according to the laws to which the citizen is subject in the United States there is no obstacle to his/her marriage. This declaration is to be sworn to by two witnesses (a witness may be of any nationality, but must be over 18, with current photo ID), before an Italian Consul outside Italy or, in Italy, before a Court official in the city where the marriage is to take place. US citizens coming to Italy to be married are best advised to obtain this declaration at a Consulate of Italy before leaving the United States, as some Courts may have long waiting lists for this service. Those who decide to request the Atto Notorio in Italy should contact the Court having jurisdiction over the city where they intend to marry in a timely fashion, and make an appointment ahead of time. In Milan, the Court office to be contacted is at the Palazzo di Giustizia (Courthouse) on Via Freguglia 1, tel.: 0254333175. Hours: 9 AM to 1 PM, Monday through Friday.


6. A woman whose previous marriage was terminated within the last 300 days must obtain a waiver from the Procura della Repubblica presso il Tribunale (District Attorney's office) at the Palazzo di Giustizia (Courthouse), in the city where the new marriage will be performed. Such waiver is issued upon presentation of medical evidence that the applicant is not pregnant.

7. Declaration of Intention: Bride and groom should present all the above documents to the Ufficio Matrimoni (Marriage Office) of the Municipio (City Hall) in the city where the marriage will be performed,and make a "Declaration of Intention to Marry" before an Ufficiale di Stato Civile (Civil Registrar).
Banns are posted only after the Declaration of Intention to Marry has been filed. Finally, the day of the wedding can be established.

· All documents originating out of Italy (birth certificate, divorce decree, etc.) MUST be translated into Italian. Both the original documents and the translations MUST be legalized for use in Italy, with the so-called “APOSTILLE” stamp, in accordance with The Hague Convention on the legalization of foreign public documents. In the US, the “APOSTILLE” stamp is placed by the Secretary of State in the State where the document was issued.
· Under Italian law, all public documents -- regardless of their origin -- are considered valid for only six months from the date of issue. Americans are therefore advised to make sure that all documents to be submitted to Italian authorities have not been issued more than six months ahead of the marriage.

Civil Banns must be posted at the Town Hall for two consecutive weeks including two Sundays before the marriage can take place. However, banns are automatically waived if neither party to the marriage is an Italian citizen or a resident of Italy. A civil ceremony is performed by the Mayor or one of his deputies. At this time you will need two witnesses. If necessary, one of the two can also serve as interpreter.
If a religious ceremony is to be performed by a Catholic priest, a separate civil ceremony will not be needed, as the priest will register the marriage with the civil authorities. The Roman Catholic Church requires documentation besides the documents listed above (such as baptismal and confirmation certificates and letters of freedom). For complete information you should check with your priest. Because of the special Italian requirements applicable to marriages performed by non-Roman Catholic ministers, the latter usually insist on a prior civil ceremony before performing a religious ceremony to ensure the legality of the marriage. Persons planning a religious ceremony should consult the priest, minister or rabbi as far before the ceremony as possible.

After the marriage is performed, the passport of a US citizen wife may be amended to read in her married name. To that effect, she should visit a US Embassy or Consulate with the Civil Certificate of Marriage issued by the Town Hall, along with her passport. There is no charge for this service.


· Requirements for British citizens

- No impediment certificate (Nulla Osta) issued by the relevant authorities – IN ORIGINAL
- Long form birth certificate, showing parents’ name (the short form, without parents name is not sufficient for Italian marriage formalities) – IN ORIGINAL
- Bride and Groom ‘s passport - PHOTOCOPY
- 2 witnesses’ passport and residence - PHOTOCOPY
- Registry fee (this varies from one Town Hall to the other and will be communicated on booking)

· If either party was previously married, the previous marriage certificate and evidence, such as a death certificate or divorce decree, of dissolution of previous marriage – IN ORIGINAL

Please note that according to Italian law a divorced woman or a widow cannot remarry unless 300 days have passed from the date of the Decree Absolute or decease of the previous spouse.

· When someone changes his name we need the” Deep Poll Certificate” or a “Statutory Declaration” – IN ORIGINAL


· Requirements for Australians citizens

Before leaving Australia, you need to obtain an Atto Notorio (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in Australia in the state where you reside.
1. Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of the previous marriage.
If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
· In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Statutory Declaration (Nulla Osta). This Statutory Declaration must be signed whether you are single, divorced or widowed and you will do so in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome or Australian Consulate-General in Milan- A Nulla Osta literally states that "there are no impediments," or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Statutory Declaration) is valid for six months and is the Euro 12, which is equivalent of A$20.00.
· You will be assisted by one of our on site assistants in doing this step in Italy.
· The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura. You will be assisted by one of our on site assistants in doing this step too. Nulla Osta and legalization can be done during the same morning.
· If you did not obtain an Atto Notorio prior to coming to Italy or you currently reside in Italy, the Atto Notorio can be executed in Rome or Milan.
· If this is the case we will need to make an appointment. There is a cost that might vary to do this, it is about Euro 600 and includes fees, taxes, stamps, necessary witnesses and assistant.

Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. This is close to impossible to do. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse.


· Requirements for Irish citizens

· Statutory declaration by Irish citizen called a “Certificate de coutume” for marriage abroad.
Normally it takes 5 days to process. However, if one or both of the partners intending to marry are divorced, the process can take up to two months.
(A divorced person or a person who is or intends to marry a person under the age of 18 years should use a different form).
· Completion of the MP2A form/declaration (Euroevents can send you a copy via email). This declaration must be made and signed in the presence of one of the following:
In Ireland a Notary Public, a Commissioner for Oaths or a Solicitor.
Abroad before a Diplomatic or Consular Officier of Ireland, or a Notary Public, a Commissioner for Oaths, or an equivalent person authorized oaths or declarations in that place.
You need to bring all the following documents to the DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS in Dublin. They will check them and if everything is ok they will send an email to the Irish Consulate in Rome, that will issue the Nulla Osta.
• MP2A form
• Birth certificate length form (with parents names)
• Copy of the passports.

At the Department of Foreign affairs you have to pay the cost of the Nulla Osta which varies from year to year – and might be around Euro 30 per person.


· Requirements for Russians citizens

Address: via Sant'Aquilino, 3 – 20148 Milano, Italia;
Tel.: 02-400-92-113, 02-487-06-041;
Fax: 02-400-90-741;
Opening times: lunedi – venerdi: 9.00 -12.45 (visti urgenti: 9.00 - 12.00)
Festivities: January 1, 2 and 7; February 23; March 8; May 1, 2 and 9; June 12; November 7; December 12.
If the above festivities are Sundays, they are celebrated the following Monday

In order to get married in Italy a Russian citizen needs a Nulla Osta which may be obtained by showing the following documents to the Russian Embassy in Italy:
- 2 original Russian passports, one for Russia and one for foreign countries;
- Original Birth Certificate;
- If previously divorced/widowed, you need to show your divorce decree or death certificate
- If documents bear different names, you have to show the document where we can see that you changed it officially.
- Residence permit.
The cost of the certificate is Euro 95 per person. The couple must apply for the Nulla Osta in PERSON no one else will be allowed in the Embassy or Consulate to assist them.


· Requirements for Chinese citizens

Documents Required for your Nulla Osta:
1. Visa to enter the country
2. Birth Certificate
3. Passport
4. Certificate attesting the marital status of the person
The documents have to be presented at the Chinese Embassy who will release the necessary Nulla Osta the dame day. The Embassy requires that the Chinese national contact the embassy directly without intermediaries.
Embassy Details
Ambassador: Cheng Wendong
Address: NO.56, VIA BRUXELLES, 00198 ROME, ITALY
Tel: +39-06-8413458
Fax: +39-06-85352891
E-mail: chinaemb_it@mfa.gov.cn


· Requirements for Japanese citizens:

- family register;
- residence certificate;
- certification of legal capacity to enter a marriage contract.
All of the above certificates should bear the so-called apostille which consists in their legalization by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then should be translated into Italian in the form of an official translation
1. Translations of Registry Office acts (certificates of Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death)
The Consular Section of the Embassy of Italy in Japan carries out the translation of Registry Office acts to be submitted to the town halls in Italy for the purpose of making additions or modifications to the status of Italian citizens living in Japan.
2. Sworn translations
As regards all other documents to be translated into Italian, applicants should obtain the help of qualified translators. In order for the translations to be duly accepted, the translator must appear in person at the Consular Section and take the following steps.
· Sign the written text of an Oath of Extra-Judicial Translation before a Consular official;
· Submit the original of an oath taken before a notary that clearly shows that the author of the translation is a professional translator of Italian and Japanese. This document must carry the apostille attached by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Apostilles show that the act taken before a notary has legal validity also in Italy as established by the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961;
· Submit a CV that clearly shows that the translator is an accomplished professional. The CV must be accompanied with some of the translator's most significant translation works.


· Requirements for Germans

(German Consulate in Milan – tel. # 0039/02/6231101)
1) Your valid and current I.D. card and/or your passport (Personalausweis)
2) The International birth certificate Form (according to the agreement between Germany and Italy – (internationalen Geburtsurkunde)
3) If previously divorced, your divorce decree
An international permission of marriage (Ehefähigkeitszeugnis) is required for getting married in Italy. If you are divorced this certificate reports also the date of divorce.
The so called Nulla Osta (konsularische Bescheinigung) and the Atto Notorio are usually not required.
If you have been divorced less than 300 days from the proposed wedding date, there are further requirements to obtain permission to marry in Italy. Please inquire the German Consulate in Italy directly.
Once in Italy you may be required to do a declaration at the wedding hall, in which you state that you are free and want to marry (it is necessary that a translator is present at the declaration). This is not required everywhere but if it is needs to be done 3 workingdays before the wedding (so keep this in mind, when planning your trip schedule)
When you have all the documents ready in Germany, fax us copies of everything. We will check them and continue the paperwork on this end. Keep the originals and hand carry them when you come to Italy (don’t check them at the airport).



important notice

The town hall in Italy may require for all foreign citizens a declaration before your marriage, so you need to plan your arrival few days before the ceremony.

Wedding Certificates
All couples marrying civilly in Italy receive an international wedding certificate valid in their home country. To register your marriage at home you will simply need to go to the registrar with the certificate and present the document.
Only a single wedding certificate is usually issued by the Italian authorities but additional ones can be requested as long as this is done in advance.
Additional copies are hard to obtain after you leave the country. Please advise us beforehand how many copies you


Home| Ceremonies | Legal Requirements | Curiosity | Packages | Links | Contact us

Copyright © 2009-2012 Renbel Multimedia Service